The Specialist Upskilling Programme is a collection of short courses. Aimed at both operatives and specialists alike, the short courses are great for filling gaps in knowledge and skills and when combined with a period of assessment can lead to a Level 2 Vocational Qualification (VQ) in Applied Waterproof Membranes-Single Ply Roofing.
WHAT SHORT COURSES ARE AVAILABLE?
- An Introduction to Single Ply Roofing
- Building Regulations and Standards for the Single Ply Industry
- Design Principles of Single Ply Roofing
- Installing Single Ply Roof Systems
- Methods of Attachment for Single Ply Roofing
- Preparation of Roof Decking for Single Ply Roofing
- Single Ply Roof Waterproofing Membranes
- Single Ply Roofing Application Details
- Single Ply Roofing Testing and Repair
- Single Ply Roofing Tools and Equipment
- Thermal Insulation for Single Ply Roofing
- Types of Single Ply Roof Systems
- Single ply Awareness Training (see SAT page)
HOW LONG DOES IT LAST AND HOW IS IT DELIVERED?
Short courses vary in length from half day, full day to two-three days and can be delivered at one of SPRA’s approved training facilities or at client’s premsis subject to a risk assessment by SPRA. Minimum numbers are required to deliver these courses.
When combined with a period of on site assessment, the time taken to gain a Level 2 NVQ Waterproofing – Single Ply Membranes should be between 3 and 9 months. Operatives will then be able to apply for a blue Skilled Worker CSCS card which demonstrates your competence to work on site.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
This will depend on the short courses selected. CITB grant funding is available for registered companies.
WHAT DOES IT INCLUDE?
Practical training will be done on model roofs/rigs and the knowledge will be covered using various means such as learning packages and resources, lectures and self-study.
IS A SHORT COURSE RIGHT FOR ME?
Short courses are aimed at:
- Single ply installers who have been working in the trade for a period of time but are in need of extra training to become competent at Level 2 VQ. The likely audiences are:
- Experienced installers who are currently working on site in the market and require training in order to become competent across all of the mandatory units specific to Single Ply Roofing
- Improvers and roofing assistants who are used to working within install teams and wish to take the next step to becoming competent crafts people.
- Installers who are returning to the trade after a gap of several years, and who need refresher training on one or more of the mandatory units.
- Specifiers, managers, inspectors and others looking to broaden their knowledge of specific aspects of single ply roofing
For operatives wishing to achieve the VQ, a SPRA qualified assessor will conduct a short interview and complete a skills scan with the learner to establish where the gaps are in relation to the Single Ply Roofing VQ and recommend a training and assessment package.
BENEFITS OF SHORT COURSES AND THE SUP
- Training is directed at individual’s need and is tailored to allow workforce to learn in areas complimentary to existing skills
- Gaps in knowledge identified to create personal training programme
- Varied training delivery situations to suit candidate’s needs
- Delivers knowledge at a personal level to improve competency, knowledge and understanding
- Some funding available for CITB registered companies
- Level 2 VQ ‘Applied Waterproof Membranes -Single Ply Roofing’ for operatives combining with on-site assessment
- Access to a blue Skilled Worker CSCS card for operatives
HOW DO I ENQUIRE ABOUT SPRA SHORT COURSES?
Complete the Training Enquiry Form or email SPRA at email@example.com with your contact details and potential trainee details. The SPRA Training Manager or a SPRA Assessor will be in contact to help and if appropriate, profile the trainee and ensure that a bespoke SUP is the correct training course for them.