Friday, September 1, 2023 9:43 AM
Reinforced Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (RAAC)
Dear SPRA Technical Committee member,
You will be aware that the government has ordered 104 English schools, nurseries and colleges with reinforced autoclaved aerated concrete (RAAC) to close affected buildings immediately until safety measures, such as propping up ceilings, are introduced. This is because there are concerns that RAAC is prone to collapse.
SPRA Chair, Martyn Holloway, points out that there will be many RAAC roofs still in the public sector and elsewhere. Martyn has requested that the most relevant industry guidance is circulated to the SPRA membership. Please find attached/follow the link to the following documents:
- Failure of Reinforced Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (RAAC) Planks Standing Committee on Structural Safety (SCOSS), May 2019
- Reinforced Autoclaved Aerated Concrete: Lightweight Concrete Roofs Department for Education, February 2021
- Guidance for the Attachment of Single Ply Roofing Systems to Concrete Decks and Roof Slabs Single Ply Roofing Association (SPRA), January 2022
- Reinforced Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (RAAC) Decking Safety Alert National Federation of Roofing Contractors (NFRC), July 2022
- Reinforced Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (RAAC): Identification guidance Department for Education, August 2023
It would be prudent to instruct site personnel not to access any known RAAC roofs unless a structural engineer has confirmed that it is safe to do so.
Please share this e-mail and attachments with your colleagues.
Anthony Hogan BA (Hons) MIoR
T: 0845 154 7188
For and on behalf of
Single Ply Roofing Association
Unit 26 Coney Green Business Centre
Company № 2780418. VAT № 571 5708 30. Registered office: 31 Worship Street, London, EC2A 2DY.
This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete the email including any attachments without forwarding, copying or printing.